College / Career Center
Coordinator: Amy Shaffer
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org (860) 232-4561 ext. 5138
Location: The Career Center is located at the end of the School Counseling wing.
All students and parents are welcome to visit the Career Center during school hours! The Career Center offers the following services:
1. College Information: There are a variety of college reference books that can be used in the Career Center. Many college admissions representatives visit the Career Center each year, mainly in the fall months, and meet here with students in a small group setting. An updated listing of all college visits can be found on Naviance. Students must sign up on Naviance prior to the visit in order to attend the presentation.
2. Career Exploration: For information about the internship, job shadow, peer mentor and mentor programs, contact Carol Wilkas, our District Coordinator (email@example.com).
3. Scholarships/Financial Aid: The updated listing of scholarships is located on Naviance. This site should be checked on a continuing basis to be aware of currently available scholarships and qualifying criteria.
4. SAT and ACT registration information and review books are available in the Career Center.
5. Computers are available to students to explore careers and post secondary options as well as to log onto Family Connection through the Naviance site.
6. The Career Center is also a quiet place to study for students, and they are welcome and encouraged to do so!
Attention College Reps: We are now using RepVisits.com to schedule college visits. If you are not a RepVisits member, you may schedule a visit by contacting Amy Shaffer via email (firstname.lastname@example.org) or phone (860-929-5138).
Each fall, colleges and universities from all over the country come to Hall High School to meet our students. These visits are a great opportunity for students to meet admissions representatives face-to-face, ask questions of particular importance, and get insight into their curriculum, student life, etc. Representatives are scheduled for one class period and are held in the Career Center unless otherwise noted.
The process to sign up for these visits is now done through Naviance. Please log onto Naviance, click on "colleges", then click on "visits" to see who is coming and to register.
You must register through Naviance and have permission from your teacher to attend visits in the Career Center.
Please check the listing of colleges visits regularly beginning in September as new college visits are added daily.
If you have a college on your "prospective" college list, you will automatically get an email when the college has scheduled a visit to Hall. You will still need to register for the visit.
A weekly listing of college visits is also posted outside the School Counseling Office!
College Representative Visits....
Q: What if I have a test and am unable to come to the visit?
A: If possible, stop down at the very beginning of the period to introduce yourself to the representative and let them know you are interested in their school but unable to attend the visit. The college representatives that visit Hall are very often the same people that read our applications, so it helps for them to put a face to the name on the application!
Q: I don't see my college listed on scheduled college visits?
A: Check Naviance regularly as colleges are added daily in the fall. Remember that not all colleges do visit Hall, but last year over 120 did! Also, the Hall/Conard College Fair is held each year in October and all juniors and seniors are encouraged to attend!
SAT's AND ACT's.....
Q: How do I register for the SAT's and ACT's?
A: All registration materials for the SAT's and ACT's, as well as review books for both, can be found in the Career Center. Students are encouraged to register online:
Q: What is our CEEB code?
A: Hall's CEEB code is 070-900.
Q: I missed the registration deadlines and want to test standby!
A: You cannot register online to test "standby". Come to the Career Center and pick up the SAT registration packet, which must be brought with you the day of the test. If you are testing standby you must come to Hall between 7:15-7:30 a.m. with the completed packet. DO NOT wait in line, go to the front and let the proctors know that you are testing standby.
Q: How do I know when a scholarship is available?
A: A complete listing of available scholarships is located in Naviance. Be sure to check this regularly as new scholarships are added to Naviance as they become available!